The obligations of church membership outlined in the covenant are all scriptural, as may be seen from the following study.
I. Salvation and Baptism
- (John 1:11-12; Matt 28:19-20)
II. Duties to the Church
- To walk together in Christian love (John 13:34-35).
- To strive for the advancement of the church and promote its prosperity and spirituality (Phil 1:27; 2 Tim 2:15; 2 Cor 7:1; 2 Peter 3:11).
- To sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrine (Heb. 10:25; Matt 28:19; 1 Cor 11:23-26; Jude 3).
- To give it pre-eminence in my life (Matt 6:33).
- To contribute cheerfully and regularly (1 Cor 16:2; 2 Cor 8:6-7).
- To carry my membership when I move and be active in church work wherever I live (Acts 11:19-21; 18:24-28).
III. Duties in Personal Christian Living
- To maintain family and secret devotion (1 Thess. 5:17-18; Acts 17:11).
- To religiously educate the children (2 Tim 3:15; Deut. 6:4-7).
- To seek the salvation of the lost (Acts 1:8; Matt 4:19; Psa 126:5-6; Prov. 11:30).
- To walk circumspectly in the world, and to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment (Eph. 5:15; Phil 2:14-15; 1 Pet 2:11-12).
- To avoid gossip and excessive anger (Eph. 4:31; 1 Pet. 2:21; Col. 3:8; James 3:1-2).
- To abstain from sale or use of liquors (Eph. 5:18; Jab. 2:15).
- To be zealous in our efforts for Christ (Titus 2:14).
IV. Duties to Fellow Members
- To watch over one another in love (1 Pet. 1:22).
- To pray for one another (James 5:16).
- To aid in sickness and distress (Gal. 6:2; Jam. 2:14-17).
- To cultivate sympathy and courtesy (1 Pet. 3:8).
- To be slow to take offense, always ready for reconciliation (Eph. 4:30-32).